Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for “fifth of May”) is a holiday held on May 5. It is celebrated nationwide in the United States and regionally in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla. The date is observed in the United States as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride, and to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War. In the state of Puebla, the date is observed to commemorate the Mexican army’s unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín. Contrary to widespread popular belief, Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico’s Independence Day, the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico, which occurs on September 16th.
WHAT: Beach to Brewery Beer + Music Fest
WHEN: Saturday May 8, 2010 from 2:00p-7:00p
WHERE: Karl Strauss Main Brewery in Pacific Beach (Map It!)
- This year marks the 7th year of supporting the local San Diego Surfrider Chapter.
- Admission includes a souvenir taster glass and 5 samples.
- Tickets are $25/pre-sale and $30/at the door. All proceeds go directly to the Surfrider Foundation, San Diego Chapter.
- Interested in becoming a Surfrider member? Buy a ticket to the event and a 1-year membership for only $40 a $50 value.
- On-line pre-sale ticket sales end at 2:00p on Friday May 7th. Tickets will be available at the door on May 8th for $30 each.
- Free shuttles starting at 1:40pm are available from Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach and will run throughout the event. The PB pick-up/drop off point is at the corner of Dawes/Thomas at the edge of the PB Library. No event parking is available at the Library, so plan accordingly. The OB pick-up/drop off point is at Dusty Rhodes Park.
Check out this video from their event last year:
on to phi phi don…
“a comfy air conditioned ferry ride later, we’ve arrived at what some say is the most beautiful island in the world: phi phi don. you probably will recognize it from pictures, the twin bays, and it’s sister island phi phi leh, is the famous beach of the movie the beach. beautiful it is, but crowded as well. everyone always wants a piece of paradise. more lounging, swimming, snorkling, and then we experienced our first monsoon rain. it’s the beginning of the season. a quick bucket of a downpour, and then steamy afternoons. a beautiful island, you can see in the pics, unbelievable water colors and cliffs. after one night and two days, we headed onward to phuket.
here it’s a vacation away from our vacation. lovely house, scooters for all, and for jeff and i, we’re so familar with the area, it’s like the comfort of coming home. some more monsoons, swimming, shopping, and always eating and drinking, we’re closing in on indonesia. jeff is so ready, he’s more than ready. so here we come! first a stop over in malaysia for a few days to take care of our indo visa (in order to stay 60 days, you have to prearrange it) and then we arrive in bali and let the surfin begin.
p.s. we can’t believe we only have two more months to go!!! time went so slowly in the beginning, now it’s flying by…. if anyone has any ideas on how to stay on longer, pass them on! we’re not ready to come home just yet, holiday lifestyle is too good to us